FYI
Got an internship in DC but have no place to stay? The nonprofit Washington Center for Internships and Academic Seminars is building a $38 million, 95-unit housing complex for student interns. The idea is to provide housing for students who intern in DC for academic credit.
This might beat renting out a closet.
-------------
A consortium of nonprofits and labor unions, led by the Blue Green alliance, is lobbying in DC for green jobs. The alliance is based on trying to have strong job growth (a clear union concern) with environmental policies. This is a fascinating exercise of groups in civil society.
--------------
Robert Egger notes that the age of well-compensated nonprofit leaders will go the way of... highly compensated corporate executives.
“It’s not that I don’t think that nonprofit pro’s should be adequately compensated. We should It’s not that I don’t believe that our contributions are just as important as any business leaders. They are. It’s just that the party is over.”His basic point is that nonprofits who travel to DC to try to get a piece of the stimulus package will likely be vilified by the public. It's worth a full read.
-----------
The Washington Area Women’s Foundation has granted $300K to six area nonprofits: D.C. Appleseed, CentroNia of Maryland, Empower D.C., Fairfax Futures, Hopkins House and Voices for Virginia’s Children.
Are any of you working for one of these?
Labels: grants, nonprofits, unions


1 Comments:
The place I stayed at in DC last summer rented out the space under the steps (a closet) for 150-200 bucks. If I wasn't terribly claustrophobic, I'd think it was a pretty sweet deal for someone working 40+ hours/week for a few months.
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home